Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Helping the Homeless and Orphaned Of Uganda: Show Mercy International

I rarely "endorse" organizations, but I wanted to write a blog that highlights the fact that hope can be found for the abandoned and unlovely of the world, and that indeed, we can still find people with hearts larger than the continent of Africa, who are willing to lay down their worldly possessions, and material wealth, to pursue a heart felt passion to make a difference to children otherwise forgotten.


The state of the economy, the election, catastrophic job losses - all of these things weigh heavily on the hearts and minds of Americans nationwide, as we try to find reasons to celebrate the season of giving, with so many in need.


I am proud to call Mike and Lori my friends, I have been truly inspired by their selfless giving, and the passion they have to help the orphaned in Uganda.





It has been a true blessing for me to know Mike and Lori, and as I think back on the many, many things they have done, not only for the orphans, but for me and my family - the prayers, the love, and the support, I know that this blog cannot begin to scratch the surface in expressing how much I love and appreciate the two of them, and their lovely daughters.

Mike and Lori - Thank you so very much for instilling the hope and faith for a bright future for these young people, and for reigniting the passion and love for God and others that I somehow lost along the way. I love you guys.

A mission born - A hope renewed: Show Mercy International


The founders, Mike and Lori Salley answered a call on their lives after a visit to Uganda opened their eyes to the extreme poverty and living conditions that the people of Uganda had to endure.

Mike especially took notice of the plight of the many orphaned and abandoned children that he came in contact with. His heart was broken for these children as he saw them all alone on the streets, scavenging for food like animals and even prostituting themselves just to stay alive.

Thinking about his own children and how he would feel if they had to experience this kind of existence, he recognized that this was not OK with God and that he could not just stand by and pretend that everything would be OK and do nothing.

As Lori puts it, "When I saw the faces of these children, who had been through so much, and endured so much at the hands of others, I was just wrecked. I knew that I had to do whatever I could to make sure that we could help these children know that they have a Father in heaven who loves them, and wanted to show them the love of the Father by providing them the things that they would need to survive; food, clothing, medical attention, education, shelter and love.





In July of 2004, Show Mercy was officially founded and registered as a 501c3, nonprofit organization. From that point on, God began providing financial resources that enabled Show Mercy to begin build homes for many orphaned and abandoned children.

Since that time, the ministry has continued to be blessed enabling them to continue providing assistance to hundreds of hurting children in Uganda and India. This includes providing shelter, food, clothing, medical care, education and love to many hurting children.

As we draw close to Christmas, would you consider sponsoring a child, or donating to this worthy cause?

Click here to learn more about Show Mercy International:
Click here to Sponsor a Child:
Click here to donate to this worthy cause:



Show Mercy International on Facebook
Photos courtesy of: Show Mercy International

No comments: